The History of Cockenzie & Port Seton Bowling & Recreation Club
Club History written by Arthur G. Bellany, Secretary
COCKENZIE & PORT SETON BOWLING CLUB
Situated ten miles from the Scottish capital a fishing town in East Lothian founded in 1948 at a meeting in the local pond hall. Awaiting the local council to prepare a green the club had a hundred and six members for the opening. The green opened on 29th April at 6pm with a game against the town council which was won by the club 100 shots to 82 shots. The local provost J. H. Thomson donated the championship cup still being played for and local publican W. N. Blyth donated the club handicap cup.
The Secretary John Bellany from 1949 till 1956 is the father of the current Secretary and honorary President Arthur G. Bellany.1995 - 2013(see adjacent Photo)
Since then the club have won numerous trophies since joining the East Lothian Bowling Association.
The club have won the league Division One championship in 2003,04,05,06,07,09,10,12.
2012 Division One and Division Three champions courier cup, jubilee cup, top five, elba trophy, bowls Scotland senior fours, fours and singles is one of the club highlights.
Our international players: J. Allan 2001,02, 03 S. Morgan 2001, 02
Derek Oliver 2005, 06,07.
all under 25 internationals with Derek representing the full international team from 2007 ,08 ,09, 10,11,12,13
The club have had many East Lothian Hamilton trophy players through the years and county champion of champions with Alex Morgan winning on seven occasions from 1957.
The club have served the county well through the years with
J. McIntosh President 1970,71
A.G. Johnston President 1995, 96
A. G. Bellany Secretary 1995 - 2013 and Scottish under 25 President 1995,96
T. Buchannan Scottish Youth President 1998, 99.
Click on the following images to see full size images.
John & Arthur Bellany with original club book.
Where to find us. »
George V Playing Field
Phone: 01875 810481